Able Seaman (Wheelsman)
Bank of applications
Reformar is a Rimouski-based, non-profit organization lending support to marine science and technology projects since 1989. In doing so, they partner with researchers, research and training institutions, along with government and private-owned organizations. Concretely, Reformar handles the full management of a fleet of science vessels and the complete planning of its scientific missions.
The management is looking to build a bank of applications for future opportunities as Able Seaman (Wheelsman). If you feel a pull toward the domain of scientific research, love being on the wheelhouse shift while also actively participating in deck operations, and have dynamism to share, this is a golden opportunity to show us what you’re made of!
As Able Seaman (Wheelsman), you will be in charge of monitoring the routes of the survey mission while taking part in operations on the Coriolis II’s deck. Fun and excitement is guaranteed!
Under the supervision of the Officer of the Watch or the Master, you…
- Keep a watch shift on the bridge/wheelhouse;
- Help keep the wheelhouse and other places tidy when needed;
- Help moor and cast off the ship;
- Participate in operations on the deck;
- Take part in general maintenance of the ship, including steel and painting;
- Help maintain the wire ropes, mooring lines, etc.;
- Supervise the gangway;
- Assist in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
Requirements, skills and professional qualities sought:
- Valid Transport Canada STCW Basic Safety Certificate (MED) obtained within the last 5 years;
- Canadian Certificate – Persons with security responsabilities (PWSR);
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical Certificate;
- Bridge Watch Rating;
- MARINE EXPERIENCE: We are looking for someone with experience as an Able Seaman (Wheelsman), who has everyone’s safety as a priority in addition to being proactive, autonomous and versatile!
- FRENCH: Bilingualism is an asset since most of
our crew and clients are francophones.
- LEADERSHIP: We are looking for someone who has positive energy and leads their colleagues into this movement.
- PROBLEM SOLVING: This will be the person’s daily life and this is what will make his work non-routine and exciting! So, yes, a capacity to “take charge” is essential.
- TEAMWORK: The Coriolis II’s team being small, we greatly value efficient and respectful communication with colleagues, clients, and partners.
What we have to offer you…
- A competitive salary following the current salary policy;
- A position in a small, friendly, dynamic team;
- Highly competitive benefits (7% group RRSP, group insurance programs, etc.);
- 14 public holidays per year;
- Annual reimbursement of your safety boots (max $175) and your Marine Medical Certificate every 2 years (max $150);
- Flexibility in the schedule that can accommodate some of your obligations;
- A job where teamwork is key to achieving goals;
- A job where you won’t notice the days passing by!
How to apply :
- Fill in the form
- Attach your resume and cover letter
If this short description makes you want to try your luck, send us your application at the contact details below!
You can also contact us for more information!
Reformar, 418 723-1986, extension 1023